St Joseph’s Parish Primary School offers a beautiful setting and atmosphere in which we as a Christian community teach, learn and celebrate our faith.
We are committed to the development of the whole person ensuring the integration of faith, life and culture. Our staff value learning and are continually
using the evidence gathered in the classroom from students to inform their curriculum planning. Respect for others, and a responsible attitude towards
the use and development of talents and skills assists students to be nurtured and develop. We place high importance on partnership with parents, parish
and the wider community. I hope you find the information within our website both informative and insightful.
Mr Jim Ireland
St Joseph’s School is a co-educational Kindergarten to Year 6 School which is part of the Catholic Education system of the Wilcannia – Forbes Diocese.
As a Catholic School, within the Parish community, our keystone is the Gospel Values of Jesus who is our model.
We are committed to the development of the whole person ensuring the integration of faith, life and culture.
St Joseph’s School strives for excellence in all areas of human growth; it is a centre of learning, and a place of celebration and pastoral concern.
Our educational community of children, teachers and parents is bound together with a distinctively Christian awareness, outlook and purpose.
St Joseph’s School offers a comprehensive program and promotes a friendly family atmosphere. Dedicated staff, enthusiastic students and pro-active parents makes for a faith filled and dynamic environment.
At St Joseph’s school we understand the importance of the early years of schooling, when it is important that children experience success, acquire confidence and develop their independence. As students mature we guide and support them while they develop key skills and at the same time allow for their individual differences and talents to flourish.
The NSW Board of School Studies and the Wilcannia/ Forbes Catholic Education Office Documents and Syllabus are the basis of the school programs.
The formalised curriculum is divided into seven Key Learning Areas:
The Catholic Education Office document ‘Sharing our Story’ is implemented in each classroom and Religious Education is integrated totally into everyday life in the school. It governs all contact between community members as we strive to promote the dignity of each person and create a faith community, which reflects God’s love.
Daily prayer and regular liturgies are crucial dimensions of our Religious Education Program.
At St Joseph’s we offer students a wide range of additional programs to enhance the learning environment:
As the family is the faith setting where the child experiences his/her sacramental life, all of our sacramental programs (Reconciliation, Eucharist and Confirmation) are family-based. The parish sets the timetable for the three sacramental programs each year and invites each family to respond to the programs offered on behalf of each child. The family, in consultation with the parish, decides when each child is ready to be prepared for, and receive each sacrament for the first time. At the year level, the school, as part of its Religious Education Program, takes the child through the Scriptural basis of each sacrament and how it has evolved over the centuries.
HISTORY OF ST JOSEPH’S
In response to the needs of the Catholic Community of Condobolin and the Lachlan Shire, the first school was established by Bishop Byrne in 1889. The School was opened in Orange Lane with 61 pupils. The school was staffed by Sisters of St Joseph (black Josephites).
In 1926 a new school was built on the corner of Molong and Napier Streets and staffed by the Sisters of St Joseph (brown Josephites).
In 1935 the Catholic High School was opened by Bishop Fox and staffed by the Sisters of Mercy who arrived in Condobolin in 1929. The primary and secondary school thrived under the leadership of Priests and Sisters of Mercy, but towards the end of the 80’s drought, educational trends and resources saw the school decline in numbers.
In the early part of 2004 fires destroyed much of the school infrastructure. The Parish Priest at the time, Rev Fr. D. Doyle, resolved to establish a new school on the corner of Molong and William Streets.
The new complex was opened in May 2005 with over 100 students and a dynamic group of teaching and administrative staff.
As a school community, we recall with gratitude the faith and dedication of the pioneer priests, sisters, teachers and parents of the Catholic Community, who laboured tirelessly to provide Catholic Education and Christian traditions which we express and value today.
The school office is open 9.00am – 3.15pm Monday – Friday.
The first point of call to the school is through the front office.
In the interests of safety the school gates are locked at 9.15am and reopened at 3.00pm.
|Parish Priest||Father Don Gunn||Ph: 6895 2056|
Fax: 6895 3208
|Principal||Mr Jim Ireland||Ph: 6895 2204|
|Office Administrator||Mrs Sally Weber||Ph: 6895 2204|
Fax: 6895 3710